10 Things to Do on Friday the 13th!
A large number of people are afraid of Friday the 13th (somewhere around 20 million Americans!) – or at least superstitious of it (check out the symptoms of paraskavedkatriaphobia here!). Superstitions about the day are not a new thing, they started long before Jason Voorhees started terrifying Camp Crystal Lake in the Friday the 13th movie franchise..in fact, some date the fear of Friday the 13th back to the mid 1800s! How specifically the fear started remains a point of debate – numerology, Norse myths, novels, and even the Last Supper are all said to have played a role in building the day into what it has become – a day that many people fear something harmful or evil might befall them.
So what do people do on Friday the 13th? Here are a few ideas of what people – who are superstitious and not superstitious – are doing on this day.
1. Watch the Friday the 13th movies. This is a tradition for many people – pull out the Friday the 13th movies and watch them! There’s no better day to do this (other than Halloween!)
2. Get a tattoo. Surprisingly, this has become popular recently, as some tattoo shops offer their services for $13!
3. Stay inside. Studies have been done showing that motor vehicle accidents increase tremendously on Friday the 13th – whether or not your are superstitious of the day, many people are not taking any chances and stay off the streets, especially at night.
4. Stay away from mirrors. Breaking a mirror is bad luck. Breaking a mirror on Friday the 13th!? Who knows if you’d ever recover from it…some people therefore just stay away from mirrors altogether!
5. Go camping. Those who are very daring, or have a taste for horror and love scares like to pack up their gear and head out to a remote campsite in the woods or the backcountry. Camping in the dark on Friday the 13th is something you’ll be unlikely to forget!
6. Scary Party. Those who like scares host Halloween parties – what’s second best to a Halloween Party? A Friday the 13th party!
7. Haunted House. There are haunted houses open yearround, and one of the best days to check one out (aside from Halloween) is on Friday the 13th!
8. Bake things in 13s. Oddly, this is a popular pasttime for people that are into Friday the 13th – they bake in batches of 13s – 13 cookies, 13 cupcakes, 13 snickerdoodles.
9. Visit a tall building. Another popular activity is finding a tall building and visiting the 13th floor (if they even have one!)
10. Haunted Tours/Ghost Tours. Many cities have them – tours at night either walking or by bus to the scariest historical spots of the city. Fear is heightened if you do it on Friday the 13th!