female werewolves

Have you noticed that when you see a werewolf on tv, in a movie, or in a novel, not many of them are female? Female werewolves just aren’t as common as the male werewolf….but they do exist!!..Does it make much sense that werewolves would only be male?  After searching on the internet, I found one of the few movies about the female werewolf, a 1976 movie called Werewolf Woman.  Werewolf woman (aka The Legend of Werewolf Woman)  is about a psychotic woman who believes that she is a werewolf…apparently there is only one sequence of her as a werewolf (comes at the beginning of the movie), the rest focuses her on being psychotic.  Movie doesn’t sound too great, so don’t see it! hahhaha.

Real werewolve women can be found at the movies.

1. Moonwalker says:

yes…i thought I was the only one who noticed this…i just think its sexism in pop culture. A dominant (and likely hairy) female isn’t what the population wants to see. However the male vampire can be artisitc and tote his glass of red wine around…? I just don’t get the double standard there. No one has a problem with male vampires but a female werewolf is almost entirely unheard of. Very rare.

2. lee ann says:

I agree with you on the point that female werewolves are rare know that I think about it I can only recall one..

3. SomeGuy877 says:

@Moonwalker. This is true for most of the world’s population, but not for the users of DeviantArt. I don’t blame them. women and werewolves: two great tastes that taste great together.

Hmmm… try not to think about that last quip too hard.

4. Zina says:

finally a person who goes on here and deviant art!

5. Laura says:

noone likes hairy boobs

6. dj says:

It’s mostly because, according to the mythology on which werewolves and vampires are based, the predominant gender of lycan is male. The lack of female werewolves simply reflects their original scaricity. However, I do agree they ought to be represented one of these days and their story told too! I actually have started research in order to write my own story, featuring a female lycan as a main character…so maybe one of these days there WILL be a story out there!

7. wolfrunner says:

Hey,dj,I am writing a story about a femail lycan too,only she has to fight for her rights in a human world.

8. Kitsunekraze900 says:

This favoritism towards male werewolves probably dates back to the original folklore of the werewolf. There are very few stories that involve female werewolves. Not to mention, if you look at werewolves as a metaphor for pure destructiveness of the unchecked power, the female form isn’t your first idea.

9. Arrow says:

I am a were girl. i do not see that i am rare. *confusion* i do know many like me. actualy that is what most of my pack is made up of. hmmmm? well then.

10. Aconissa says:

It may be that the werewolf gene manifests itself better in male humans, though I dont know. Probably just sexism.

11. Awesome V says:

I’ve been a huge fan of werewolves since I was a kid.There should be more stories that circle around female werewolves.I’d most definitely buy the novels and go see the films.I’ve always loved strong female characters.They rock!!

12. Aconissa says:

So damn true awesome V!

13. Greenygrey says:

Nobody’s got close enough to me to find out my gender, and I’m not telling!

14. Lunar says:

Why would protecting your gender be important?

15. @Greenygrey: Female, or Both, one way or the other. I am more inclined to say Both seeing as you said no one has gotten close enough to you. By all means though, correct me if I am wrong.

16. @Greenygrey: your website indicates that your first name is Marc, and pictures on the homepage of of a male, so I redefine my guess to Man.

17. so what you are saying is: a werewolf it’s a male and a werewolve it’s a female???! O.o
    Please anwserd!! Thank you

18. Lee Ann says:

The term “werewolf” is unisex referring to male and female. It also can refer to a group whereas ” the werewolf pack”. As I’m sure most of you know plural form is “werewolves”.

19. Axa says:

I am obsessed with werewolves, I love them to pieces!
    I think if I could I’d love to be one

20. Awesome V says:

I’m crazy about werewolves as well,Axa.Hmm…I’d rather be a werewolf instead of a vamp.Besides,if your a werewolf,you wouldn’t need to sustain a certain vital fluid in order to survive.
    Oh,are any of you Castlevania fans?Just thought that I should ask…Lol:)

21. Awesome V says:

I do have a problem with how werewolves have been portrayed in recent films.I love both domesticated&wild dogs,but I’m tired of watching people turn into wolves.I loved Van Helsing!!I also liked the first Howling film.Oh,I loved the actress who played the lead female werewolf on the film.I just hate that she’s passed on.I can’t think of her name at the moment.

22. Awesome V says:

There was also a female werewolf on Skinwalkers.The film had potential,but the studio had such a small budget.The film could’ve been so much more than what it was.
    I’m not a sexist and I believe that a film which focuses strongly on female werewolves would totally rock.

23. Lycanhope says:

Kelley Armstrong, the first book in her series “Woman of the otherworld” centres around Elena, the only female werewolf, and she absolutely rocks! Come to think of it, the majority of werewolf info in her books is mostly accurate.

24. Kelly (just is) says:

Well, the fact that male werewolves are more common in lore probably is a reflection of the male-dominant cultures from the past (that still exsist today, see Pakistan.) When people saw a werewolf they likely just assumed it male. I digress, ginger snaps is a good girl-wolf movie series.

1. June 15, 2010

[…] out that I am talking in generalities…there are some notable exceptions that do depict the girl werewolf such as the movie Ginger Snaps which centers around girl werewolfs. Another exception to note is […]