Legend says that the kitsune can shapeshift into human form when they have advanced to somewhere between the age of 50 and 100 years old. The transformation process of the kitsune is quite different from the werewolf’s transformation process in that they can actually shapeshift into the physical appearance of whomever they want! Most typically however they tend to choose beautiful women to transform into.
While many kitsune only have one tail, it is said that some can have multiple tails – anywhere from one to nine tails in fact. Legends on why this is so vary. Some say that the kitsune grows a tail every hundred years. Regardless of the reason for the number of tails, the important thing to remember is that multiple tails implies more wisdom, more skill, and more importance. A nine-tailed kitsune is incredibly special, and this is also reflected in the fact that its fur will become gold, silver, or white.
How can you tell you’ve met a kitsune in human form?
- they might still have a tail when in human form (thought not always)
- in human form their faces might still appear slightly “foxish” in appearance (hence the term fox-faced!)
- when in human form, their reflections or shadows might still resemble a fox
What is a kitsune like?
- incredibly intelligent
- likes to play pranks / mischievous
- can drain a person’s energy or life from them
- can use their tails to “hypnotize” humans with a kind of mind control
- can use their tails to produce fire or lightening
- can create “illusions” that appear to be real