White Wolf

Retold by S.E. Schlosser

She snapped awake out of a deep sleep, screaming aloud in terror. In her nightmare, a large white wolf had been chasing her around and around the house, gaining on her with every step until it finally pounced on her and ripped out her throat. She lay shaking for hours, unable to sleep after such a terrifying dream.
But morning finally arrived, and the day was completely normal. Celia forgot all about her dream, until the moment her parents reminded her that they would be going out that night to celebrate their anniversary. Celia turned milk-white. In her dream, the white wolf had come to kill her while her parents were out celebrating their anniversary! She started shaking and begging them not to go.  Her parents were astonished at her behavior, and finally shamed her into staying home alone that night.
Fearfully, Celia locked herself into the house as soon as her parents left, checking every door and every window. She tried to laugh it off as she got into bed, and finally she shook off her irrational fear and fell asleep.
Celia snapped awake suddenly, every muscle tense. She heard the tinkling of falling glass from a broken window, and the snuffling sound of a snout pressed to the floor. It was the sound of a hunting wolf. A werewolf. Real wolves did not break into houses when there was plenty of game outside. She could hear the click-clicking of the creature’s claws on the wooden floor. The musky, foul smell of wet animal fur combined with the meaty breath of a carnivore, drifted into the room.
She could hear the werewolf’s panting right outside her bedroom. Then her body was out of bed and she sped through the bathroom and down the back stairs. She heard a soft growl and then the sound of animal feet pursuing her as she raced down the steps and tore open the back door. A glance at the window beside her showed a reflection of the werewolf leaping down the last few steps behind her.
Celia’s  feet screamed in protest as she ran painfully across the sharp gravel driveway toward the tool shed with its shovels and baseball bats. Anything she could use as a weapon. But the huge, red-eyed wolf was suddenly between her and the toolshed, stalking toward her. The cold wind pierced her skin as she turned and fled around the side of the house. She gasped as the white wolf howled and took off after her. She could hear the terrifying sound of the creature’s pounding feet.
Faster, faster, she commanded her legs, panting desperately against the fear choking her. She would run around the house and back down the driveway, she thought with the clarity of sheer horror. She felt the wolf snap at her back leg and felt the sting of teeth. She put on speed.
The wolf veered away from her suddenly, and she felt a rush of hope. She couldn’t hear the wolf now, couldn’t see it in the cloud-darkened night. She kept running around the house, heading back toward the tool shed. To her intense relief, she heard the sound of a car coming down the road in front of her house.  Her parents were back and would save her from the wolf!
Then her heart stopped in panic as she turned the last corner and saw the shape of the white wolf as it stood balanced on the porch railing right in front of her. It sprang upon Celia, huge teeth tearing into her flesh and ripping out her throat.  She fell under the weight of its body, hot blood spilling all over the ground, and died seconds after she hit the ground.  One minute later, her parent’s car pulled into the driveway, its headlights blinding the white wolf as it pulled toward the house.  Frightened, the wolf backed away from its kill and then ran away.

Used with permission of S.E. Schlosser and AmericanFolklore.net. Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

1. Wolfie says:

because I want to p-shift

2. suzet says:

i think it was not so good beacuase im a werewolf or as i call it a wolf blood HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Madd Dogg says:

@suzet: you uh need any help…????

4. Wolf blood: k atleast some one knows the difference between lycan werewolf and wolf blood wolf bloods r best

5. Lunaofmypack says:

So u guys r werewolves too? I became one when I was eleven.

6. Hemming says:

How in the world do you become a werewolf. I ave looked for hundreds of ways and talked to hundreds of fakers. Is there even a way to become a werewolf that can control its self when shifted. But the story was pretty good.

7. llyon says:

@Hemming: no. i dont know why you would bother to even trying. there are far more hazards to being a wolf, then a human. i strongly suggest you learn the fundimentals before ever thinking about it.

8. Laika says:

I know of only a couple of ways to be a Wolf : you’re either bitten, and I’m not just talking about a little nip, I’m mean really bitten. Like at the point of death. Or you’re just born into it. If you don’t count for either of those, well then your just out of luck.

9. Hemming says:

@llyon: I have those that can teach me, but none that would be willing to do it themselves.

10. blaine says:

my friends are stoners im not i was watching there backs with my flash light and i saw a big white wolf i live in a place called stiner (im not telling you exactly) i live in austin texas they were smoking and i saw what i thought was sombodys pet it smelled like shit i guess it saw i was with people they were to high to even talk well i saw it big ass wolf blood on its teeth terrible odar it went up to my face sniffed me starred its eyes opened as far as it could as a dog lover i was acting like it was a dog saying “come here come here im not bad im not bad” it came up to me sniffed me licked me i thaught it was a pet my fathers father was in a tribe somewhere in south america idk. it looked at me in the eyes i thuaght i saw those eyes before so it looked up white wolves in texas and found this sight so i posted it just wanted to say

11. Gabriel says:

Can you put any less punctuation in that? I mean the story itself is weird, and I want to say stupid, but that word might not be adequate. But please, at least put a period in their somewhere.

12. I remember how I became a werewolf. it was sort of like that.

13. I was walking in the woods and had a bad feeling but I never thought any thing of instincts before this. then I heard some twigs break and kind of got nervous. I just told my self that it was probably a mouse or something. then I heard clicking on a rock. then I turned around to head home and boom there was a wolf. I screamed but I was in the middle of the woods and no one could hear me. I tried to run away. but all the sudden it jumped on me and it it weighed so much. I could not stand up. I struggled to kick it off of me but it kept digging its claws into my stomach I tried screaming again but no noise came out. I started coughing and realized that I had to do something soon and that I was not going without a fight. at that’s time It bit me like five times. then all the sudden I got a grip and had an incredible surge of strength. I kicked it off me and ran faster than I have ever seen a human run. when I got home I opened the door went inside and passed out. then the last thing I remember was waking up at the hospital.

14. Lee Ann says:

@shewolfnowfeared: Seeing as a wolves claws on average are about an inch long and the skin on your stomach is approximately less then half an inch wide, I’m impressed you magically were able to run with your internal organs hanging out after being mauled by a wolf. Realistically cutting open a human from their stomach of all places isn’t particularly difficult and there’s not much resistance at all since the skin there is one of the softest areas. If a wolf also bit you “like five times” you’d more then likely not only have torn arteries, but your skin and muscles would be hanging and shredded as well as severe and massive bleeding going on. Which would only be incredibly increased as your body undergoes homeostasis as you exert energy trying to run and push the said wolf off of you. Even with the obvious adrenaline rush (there’s you incredible energy surge) you’d barely get ten minutes if that without passing out. Not to mention that you somehow ran faster then you’ve ever “seen” a human run yet you were the one running. Obvious lies are obvious. Better luck next time.

15. Lycanhope says:

@Lee Ann: I reckon the shock would knock her out before the bleeding did, but that’s just me.
    These fanfics are really fascinating aren’t they?

16. Lee Ann says:

@Lycanhope: eh shock usually doesnt kick in for awhile, if at all. Its kind of a medical myth. Most people dont even go through shock until like twenty or so minutes after the incident. Unless it’s something like a water based accident, then its a bit more common. Its why we have to put patient into headgear now even if theyre up and walking around, theyre body chemicals just negate the fact that they have a fracture and other nonesense.

17. Lycanhope says:

I meant shock as in the change of blood pressure hitting the internal organs shock, but I may be completely wrong. Haven’t really delved into too specific biophysics yet at college.

18. Lee Ann says:

@Lycanhope: dont worry about it human bodies are weird as f

19. my sister is a were wolf and I know because I have seen her transform

20. I know the difference between them because I am a pure breed wolf blood and was born one. plus a lycan were wolf is extremely sucky.

21. fuzzyfur says:

I dunno…… I feel this kinda connected with wolves…. they are my spirit animal I guess….. but anyways, can anyone here decipher this dream for me? in that dream I was lost a forest, at night, kind of cold and shivery, and then don’t really remember it clearly, but I was now stroking large white wolf with brown eyes, lying next to me, and I was crying. since that dream I have felt a certain link with wolves. can ya help me?

22. fuzzyfur says:

@Lee Ann: smart… really smart!

23. clawdeen says:

well im a werewolf i even growld at my dog and bit him no bneed he has alot of skin and i dont bit hard only when needed i got introuble for biting this mean girl too she was mean and deserved it anyways im a gray wolf im good at running i have brown eyes but if you look deep it golden and my eyes get big and small and inside it turned pure black i was like ahh! it was funny……in a way and you cant have speels to become a werewolf duh or your not a pure breed spells can mess up lucky for me im a pure breed so.. ya and whats with this stuff about werewolfs tearing out throuts fyi to extrem and rude if your a true werewold dont be a hater later! sincerly:clawdeen

24. Lycanhope says:

@fuzzy fur: Sorry bit late here, been busy. Doesn’t seem like too much of a mystery, you had a dream about being lost and now you have a perceived fondness for the animal that, in your dream, comforted you. You might want to have a think about who the white wolf signifies, sounds like a parental figure to me.

@clawdeen: Oh god, threw up a little in my mouth reading that. Must be from the wall of broken English.
    One, no you’re not. Two, do you even know the definition of punctuation. Three, pure breeds aren’t a thing.