Types of Werewolf Transformations

In truth, there is more than just what you see in movies regarding  werewolf transformations. In fact, there are a few different categories that exist when talking about transformations….most common among them are the M-Shift and the P-Shift.  When discussing these types of shifts, it should be noted that it is not just werewolves that this encompasses, but in fact, they also apply to therians as a group…meaning that, for some therians that are not werewolves, the shifted state is not that of a wolf, but perhaps that of another animal.

What is an M-Shift?

The M-Shift, or mental-shift is a  transformation that happens mentally. In other words, it is not a physical transformation of the body into a wolf, but rather an altered state of mind where the person has transformed mentally, and now thinks and acts and feels like a werewolf / wolf, even having enhanced senses in many cases.  M-shifts can be both voluntary and involuntary.

Although everyone has their own method to accomplish an M-Shift, most commonly, one learns this type of shift through meditation and concentration.  Many people lie or sit down in a quiet place and close their eyes.  They then concentrate on the wolf…envisioning it in their mind’s eye, watching it walk, howl, and be.  They concentrate on this “wolf” and open their spirit and mind, accepting it into their selves.  With practice and time, eventually the shift will take place.  When in the shifted state, the person will no longer “see” the wolf in their mind’s eye, but will rather feel it in their spirit.  They will have a heightened sense of awareness, and often a feeling of clarity in their thinking.  From the outside, people will not necessarily know that the person has shifted, but on the inside, the person will feel like a wolf.  They will see things from a wolf’s perspective, and often may have enhanced senses.  M-Shifts are not permanent and there are no side effects.  Many people are able to accomplish learning this type of shift within a month or two with constant practice.  For others, it can take weeks, months, or even years to learn.

What is a P-Shift?

The other common type of transformation is called the P-Shift, which stands for physical-shift. This is where the body actually physically shifts into werewolf form….this is also commonly called a “shapeshift” and why werewolves are sometimes called “shapeshifters”.  This type of shift is much less common than the M-shift, although it is certainly the most well-known type of shift…when one thinks about werewolves, one always thinks of physical transformations!  Like M-shifts, P-shifts can be both voluntary and involuntary.  The methods with which one can achieve a physical transformation are diverse and surrounded by controversy, as physical transformations are often cited by modern-day science as impossible.

Are there other types of Shifts?

Yes, there are.  The most common are the P-Shift and the M-Shift, although you will sometimes hear people refer to other types including the S-Shift (which stands for spiritual shift), the Astral Shift, the Aura Shift, and the Dream Shift (just to name a few).

1. seth says:

can a actual werewolf come to my house and bite me and let me live in the shadows and be better than i am now so i can be a great person/kid

2. Gabrielwolf2012 says:

@seth: The longer you stay on this site, the more people will tell you YOU DON’T WANT THAT. It’s ok to dream but when reality hits it hurts, you cant just become a werewolf and expect it to be easy. You also will not automatically become a hero werewolf like on whatever that show is. Think about it more before asking.

3. seth says:

i have thought and i do want to become a werewolf even though i`m a kid i will not do whatever you said about hero werewolves

4. seth says:

i am sure i want to be a werewolf and no hero bizz even though i`m 10 years old

5. Lycanhope says:

Yes! This post! This what people should be listening to! Finally, some god damn TRUTH!
    @seth: Did you even read this article before posting that idiotic request? For you, and any others who care, I will restate what I’ve said on multiple occasions.
    Biting.
    Doesn’t.
    Work.

6. she wolf says:

@seth:
    Being bitten by a werewolf doesn’t work! ARE YOU CRAZY!? It will just make you in pain or worst of all loose your life because of lost of blood.

7. Lycanhope says:

@she wolf: THANK you!

8. she wolf says:

@Lycanhope: Your welcome:D

9. night wolf says:

@seth : sorry to but say this but i think i get it now bitting and movie stuff like drinking from pawprints doesnt work. being a werewolf is more of a mental and spiritual thing before the physical if any physical thing [email protected] lycanhope: am i right or am i way off.

10. Lycanhope says:

@night wolf: Spot on, you learn quick.

11. night wolf says:

@lycanhope:yah i told you im a quick learner 🙂 this morning is awsome and the moon is still shining right in front of my window:)…..wow just realized howw much i sound like a little kid when im happy.

12. lilith says:

I totally agree with Night Wolf in that Is more of a spiritual/mental thing first. We all have instincts but not all can truly understand and identify them .

13. lilith says:

But to turn into one well I can understand the idea of being different in a superhuman way could also be like a thrill to some.

14. night wolf says:

@lilith: thank you for agreeing with me. and at first i used to love the idea of turning into a wolf and thought physical transformation was the only way. but then i started to really look into it and relized that its not just the figure its the mind set. being a werewolf doesnt just mean turning into one[still thats preety cool] but its the way you think of it i mean you could have unbelievable power but if you didnt know it then all of it would be useless. so im happy with my new found were m-transformation. it really makes being a werewolf that much cooler and awsome

15. Lycanhope says:

@night wolf: That comment made my day, my faith in humanity has been restored…for now anyway.

16. Basile says:

P-shifting is impossible

17. Lycanhope says:

@Basile: Hi book. I’m judging you by your outward appearance, without approaching you with an open mind, because I know everything and there can’t possibly be anything out there I don’t understand.

18. Madd Dogg says:

ok off topic but if a bite Doesnt turn you into a werewolf then what does

19. Lycanhope says:

@Madd Dogg: The mind. Or more specifically, movement and changes of particles triggered by the mind.
    i.e hard work and perseverance, not some self-mutilating short cut.

20. Madd Dogg says:

say what if its in the mind I am screwed I have no brain left I have eaten mine up though caffeine gta and other stupid stuff

21. Jacob says:

@Lycanhope: i apologise for my previous behaviour on this site, i was at a rough patch in life with summerschool and my djinn friend would only tell me the things(usually unusual weapons, people telling me to find “important” people, etc.) that i saw in my dreams were “classified information”, so I needed somewhere to just dump all of my thoughts and questions.

22. Jacob says:

the m shift -as far as I know- can be applied to anything that is sentient. I frequently change my mindset to different things such as owls, ravens, lions, and sometimes a dragon or phoenix.

23. Lycanhope says:

@Jacob: That’s…really not good for you. Mentally. I mean, yes, you can change what you’ve attuned your mind to if you find out you were wrong initially, but flipping through mindsets for fun? Not really recommended.

24. kitara says:

Hey guys I don’t know if this means anything but in all of my dreams I am a warewolf and IV been having a very short temper.

• Werewolf201 says:

Uhhhh this doesn’t have anything to do with us werewolfs you go through spiritual/mental then physical like night wolf said

25. Lycanhope says:

@kitara: Nope, it doesn’t mean anything.