Werewolf clothing: Do werewolves run around naked?

When a werewolf physically transforms, what happens to the werewolf’s clothes? This is a question which most humans wonder – many authors and movies have tried to address the answer to this question.  The answers that the media tends to give fall into one of three categories.

New Moon Wolf Pack

New Moon Wolf Pack

Carrying clothing:  One theory is that the werewolves carry their clothes with them. This theory was most famously espoused by Stephanie Meyer in her Twilight saga books. In the books, the werewolves tend to walk around only wearing shorts. The main reason for this is because she says that the werewolves must carry a change of clothes with them when they transform into their wolf form so that when they transform back into human form they are not standing around naked. A pair of shorts is easier to carry instead of a whole outfit – so whaala!  Werewolves tend to walk around bare-chested (according to Meyer).  But how would a werewolf carry a change of clothes with them? (..especially and specifically the Twilight werewolves as they are the type of werewolf which transforms completely into wolves and have no hands, so how is that possible?!)  The answer that Meyer came up with is that the werewolves carry around a little bag which is attached to one of their legs with a rope.  When they run around, the little bag just goes with them because it is tied to them.  Then, when they transform back into their human form, they open the bag and pull out their change of clothing – which is usually just a pair of shorts and no shirt.

The Wolfman remake

The Wolfman

Clothing stays on the werewolf:  Another theory, that is much simpler, is that when a werewolf physically transforms, the clothing might tear a little where larger muscles appear, but for the most part, the clothing will stay intact.  So, when a werewolf becomes a werewolf, he/she remains fully clothed. One example of this in current-day cinema is in the movie the Wolfman.  If you notice, the wolfman has a shirt and pants…they have just torn at the chest and arms and thighs where muscles have started to bulge and shift during the physical transformation. When the wolfman werewolf transforms back into human form, he is not naked, but rather has torn, tattered clothing hanging on his body. This idea of clothing staying on the werewolf is the oldest of the ideas that the media has as it is the most conservative, depicting a werewolf that is not running around shirtless or naked, but rather fully clothed.

Being Human

Being Human

Werewolves become naked:  The last theory in regard to what happens to werewolf clothing is that the clothing does in fact get fully destroyed during a physical transformation – as the muscles bulge, shift, and change, the clothing tears away and becomes unusable.  When the werewolf is running around in the transformed state, this does not pose much of a problem.  When the werewolf transforms back into his/her human state however, the problem becomes that the human is now completely naked with no clothing at all. Which means that the werewolf will attempt to time his / her transformation so that it occurs at some point where he/she is in a secluded area. If the werewolf is not in a secluded area when the transformation occurs, then the werewolf must quickly recover his sense and hide until he is able to find any type of clothing that he can throw on.  One of the most common shows that you’ll see this on is Being Human.

1. tygerwulf says:

I believe in the Werewolf lrp game werewolves could do a ritual for certain clothing that would appear when they revert back to human.
    The tearing but not losing clothes is the easiest but really does not work for full wolf transformations. I think it would also depend on how one becomes a werewolf. For instance there are stories of a magical belt well if the belt transforms then why not clothes too? For a curse ormore”natural change nakedness is the unfortunate result though I would think there should be some compensation like Ms. meyers idea that werewolves are naturally warmer or else a winter transofrmation would be really uncomfortable to change back to human form.

2. lee ann says:

i wouldnt mind the wolf pack walking around naked… least not the one from new moon i think it had the wolf pack in it…

3. lee ann says:

wow awaiting moderation yet again

4. DatapawWolf says:

@ tygerwulf. I think you’re talking about the World of Darkness Garou.
    They can also wear specially fitted armor in Crinos form(werewolf form).

White Wolf has the best Werewolf fiction. ^^

5. Dynomutt says:

Gods I hate Twilight so much . . .

6. lee ann says:

lol welcome to my world

7. I HATE TWILIGHT AND I’M PROUD!!! re-post if you agree.

8. Wolfy says:

I don’t hate twilight, and also those movies there. I just guess you’re forgetting a thing. It’s a MOVIE. A history that was INVENTED, according to certain rules that are also invented by an actor. If you don’t like, it’s okay… but there’s no reason for hating a thing that is product of our imagination (I think so). If you think i am wrong, then please say why do you think so. =)

9. Hachina says:

@Wolfy: Well. That’s not how many twilight fangirls see it. 😐

10. knowledge seeker says:

wolfy i dont hate twilight actually i like the movie. what i hate is is the obsessed edward fans who can`t stop talking about how hot he is etc. also i agree most of these movies are imagination based on facts. in other words they take the legends and twist them to make a better movie which annoys some of the people who know the truth. but over all its not really the movie they hate.

11. Aconissa says:

I used to really like Twilight (But I didnt like the way they showed werewolves). Now Ive grown out of it. Also, Stephenie Meyer is a mormon, so that puts me off it a bit.

12. Dynomutt says:

I hate Twilight because it has all the depth of a ceral bowl. The characters are hallow, and the story line unoriginal.

13. Dynomutt says:

*hollow

14. Hachina says:

@Dynomutt: …More like the depth of the right hemisphere of Stephanie Meyers’ brain. XD

15. Samson says:

Werewolves clothing?

16. Samson says:

Well it is a film, a movie. As in imagination. We all know there is no such thing as a werewolf, so as far as I’m concerned they can say the clothes magically disappear it would make no difference, since these things don’t really exist.

17. knowledge seeker says:

@Samson: ahh but werewolves do exist as do vampyres my friend. why would u say on one post that you r a werewolf and then say that they dont exist this makes no sense.

18. Samson says:

@knowledge seeker: Oh okay that post. Yes I did see it. But it wasn’t me that posted it. That was my sister. I got up to use the bathroom and she wrote what you saw. Don’t pay her any attention. It would be cool to be one, (not counting the lose of my human mind) but no i’m not a werewolf. I’m not talking about having a wild personality of a wolf or anything like that, I’m talking a guy who literally changes into a wolf, as in werewolf. I mean they don’t exist……do they?

19. Samson says:

there is something wrong with my posting. When ever I post something it says….your comment is awaiting moderation. Even if I just say HELLO, it says your comment is awaiting moderation. Buddy, Werewolf 967 i think you accidentally put me on perpetual moderation. Can I have it removed please, if it’s not too much trouble?

20. knowledge seeker says:

@Samson: of course they exist where do u think the legends come from.

21. Hachina says: