Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane, which is actually in the buttercup family of plants,  is a poisonous perennial herb.  The plant grows in partial shade and has unusual delicate clusters of typically purple or blue hooded flowers which have 2 – 5 petals.  In many legends, wolfsbane has an effect on werewolves. The smell is supposedly so sickening to a werewolf that it will keep a werewolf at bay. (Kind of similar to the effect of garlic with vampires). To be clear however, legends do not cite the plant as being able to kill the werewolf.

wolfsbane

Wolfsbane

Other sources also indicate wolfsbane can be used as a test to tell if someone is a werewolf by seeing if the plant’s flower casts a yellow shadow on the person’s chin.

Facebooktwitterredditpinteresttumblrmail

1. Monty says:

When I smell that it smells terrible I always don’t go near it

2. Monty says:

And I feel sick

3. Rebecca says:

It smells very bad!

4. nicole says:

I never seen a wolfsbane

5. nicole says:

what do they smell like

6. Darby says:

Wolfs bane smells horrible. I can never go 2 close to the plant.

7. Sania says:

Wolfsbane does not smell terrible. But like legend and lore it is used to keep a werewolf at bay. If you actually own wolfsbane or have it grow wildly near your home the smell is actually very sweet. Behind my home there are just droves of the stuff growing. I have a hybrid dog and yes he stays far from it. You can buy the seeds and smell for yourself, but wolfsbane is a very sweet smelling flower.

8. Sania says:

@Silverlight:
    Thank you!!!! Werewolves where revered not hunted. People praised them and you cannot be turned. that is where the fanaticism is all screwed up.

9. Werewolf master says:

Hey i found some wolfsbane in my friends back yard witch is like a forest and i put it under my friends chin and nothing happened but my friend thinks i am a werewolf because it made a yellow shadow and now i am wondering if it could be true because i don’t get a lot of sleep

10. Warewolf man says:

I realy want to be a werewolf

11. Soul Tepes says:

@Werewolf master & Warewolf man :
    I have never heard of wolfsbane causing a yellow shadow. Im not a wolf so I couldn’t tell you that answer. Nightwolf or Lycanhope or even Gabe could probably tell you. And Becoming one is a state of mind if I am not mistaken. I believe that is what Lycanhope told me, but you would have to check that out with them.

12. Lycanhope says:

@Soul Tepes: They’re the same person, so don’t bother separating the names.
    @Werewolf Master: No, you’re not. Don’t worry about it.

13. Soul Tepes says:

@Lycanhope: So the casting of a yellow shadow is folklore as well.
    Im not a wolf, so like I said I was not sure on the subject and to ask you.

14. Lycanhope says:

@Soul Tepes: Wolfsbane has no effect, apart from it being poisonous, but that’s basic biology. If I had to guess, I’d say there’s a dye in the pollen that causes a pigment stain that’s hard to remove, similar to silver nitrate.

15. Soul Tepes says:

@Lycanhope: I don’t mess with it, but I know what it looks like cause at the apartment complex a few miles out of town has it growing in the flowerbeds.

16. Soul Tepes says:

I am in a relationship so do not have any intentions of trying to be with me.

17. Gabrielwolf2012 says:

@Soul Tepes: Glad to see your already healed.

18. nightwolf says:

@soul tepes: hey your back :)….and relationship? with who?

19. Gabrielwolf2012 says:

@nightwolf: I keep going to ask you something but then I forget it… ugh.

20. Ivanov says:

His name is Asher, he is one of the doctors here at the st. Petersburg main hospital. Brother has been best friends with him for a few years now. I am sitting on the laptop in the hospital. Nick is asleep in the chair. But he will be on later when I go back for rehabilitation. I am not completely healed I broke my arm close to my fracture in my collar bone so they are making sure I do not loose all function in my arm with the two injuries so close.

21. Ivanov says:

I am having to use Nicklaus’s email because mine is still check to make sure that I am not still hacked.

22. Gabrielwolf2012 says:

@Ivanov: Still there? Also while its you may you change your name?

23. Klaudia says:

Is that better. Also, I have discovered that Lycanhope apparently thinks I am one your so called trolls and is very mistrusting of me and Nicklaus. So I might not be back after today.

24. Gabrielwolf2012 says:

@Klaudia: I know he’s a prominent member but he simply states what he has watched, leaving would only prove him right. He has been on here long enough for no nonsense so he always holds a distrust for people.