Zombie Ants infected by fungus

Zombies exist.  Zombies are real.  Science has now proven it!

There are many theories on how zombies are made – and much controversy on if they are in fact real.  For those who doubt in the existence of zombies – get ready for this one.  There is a type of fungus that actually makes zombies!  What do I mean when I say it makes zombies?  I mean that the fungus actually takes over both the mind and body of the infected.  The fungus CONTROLS whatever it infects.  There are two weird (and true) things about this- 1.) that a FUNGUS (a PLANT!!) is actually turning living things into zombies and “controlling” them… the other is actually very interesting and is that – 2.)  the fungus so far it has only been found to infect ants.

The zombie-turning fungus is called Ophiocordyceps unilateralis (for those of you who don’t believe in it, do a quick google search and you’ll find all sorts of scientific articles on it).  Apparently the fungus attaches to the ants, grows inside of it, and makes the ants do and act in certain ways – it basically controls the ants behavior so that it goes to a certain part of a plant and bites it in places where the fungus can grow.  Apparently, the whole time the ant is under complete control of the fungus.  Often, when the fungus is done with the ant, it kills it.

So, the interesting thing here is, if you still don’t believe in zombies, think about this question… if a fungus can turn an ant into a zombie, wouldn’t you think that there is something (fungus, or otherwise) that can turn a person into a zombie?

Facebooktwitterredditpinteresttumblrmail

1. Hachina says:

Well. If they could synthesize or extract the agent that turns the ants into zombies the weaponize it– ooh that would be BAD.

2. Aconissa says:

I’ve heard about this. I even saw on a documentary one of the ants that was infected. It was acting WEIRD. Apparently if the ant touches another ant (or vice versa) the other ant will become infected.

3. Hachina says:

@Hachina: Although, upon watching a video about it, I don’t really think that would be possible, as the fungus just uses the insect as a host to help find a place for it to be planted. After the fungus finds a place to grow, it kills the insect. Kinda like a seed and a bird. Just in a different way. Besides: There’s different species of this fungus that specifically uses certain insects. I would highly doubt that you could use any of these fungi on humans at all.

4. Hachina says:

@Hachina: Although, upon watching a video about it, I don’t really think that would be possible, as the fungus just uses the insect as a host to help find a place for it to be planted. After the fungus finds a place to grow, it kіlls the insect and sprouts from it afterward. Kinda like a seed and a bird. Just in a different, less gruesome way. Besides: There’s different species of this fungus that specifically uses certain insects. I would highly doubt that you could use any of these fungi on humans at all.

5. Aconissa says:

@Hachina: Yeah, I agree, I think it would be difficult for the fungus to adapt to infect non-arthropodal creatures, let alone mammals.

6. Lunar says:

Someone somewhere is going to end up testing it out anyway. :/

7. Aconissa says:

@Lunar: Hopefully, but first people will find normal werewolves before they find new ones.

8. Lunar says:

@Aconissa:

Hopefully?

9. @Lunar: click on my name and send me a request.. we have much to speak about

10. Hachina says:

@Aconissa: What. The fungus thing is about ZOMBIES. Not werewolves. What you talking about. :S

11. Aconissa says:

Woops, wrong post… sorry. Tests would be BAD. Forget what i said before 🙂

12. Lunar says:

@Hachina:
    lol I was confused about the werewolf comment too. I just figured maybe I missed something in previous posts somewhere.

13. Lunar says:

Zorath,
    Why is it you’re the only one on this site whose reply option refuses to work?
    I’ll add you.

14. Aconissa says:

@Lunar: Sorry about that lightening. And yeah, i can reply to your posts zorath

15. Aconissa says:

I mean lunar!!!! Im so sorry.

16. Aconissa says:

There’s something wrong with me today 🙂

17. Lunar says:

@Aconissa: I feel insulted now x.x

18. Aconissa says:

@Lunar: I’m really really sorry. I don’t know why I did that. I totally respect you, and dislike lightening. My deepest apologies!

19. Lunar says:

@Aconissa:

It’s alright. I’ll forgive you. lol.